Free For All
FFA stands for Free For All. It is a label representing most of the server's maps. It is named as a counterpart to Hardcore; where maps in Hardcore can only be played by blues, maps in the FFA are open to all (free, for all). Formerly located in the FFA Airship, the FFA currently resides in City Spawn as part of the plan to unify it and the FFA in one area.
This page only refers to the individual areas of FFA. For the definitions of the types of maps in each room, see Map Elements (Types).
The Pure Parkour room is located on the left side of the parkour side of spawn. It contains maps of various difficulties that fit into the pure parkour map category. Pure parkours can be streamed and recorded freely.
The Mixed Parkour room is located on the right side of the parkour side of spawn. It contains maps of various difficulties that fit into the mixed parkour map category, meaning the maps may include mazes, puzzles or other challenge types. The parkour sections can be streamed and recorded freely, but not maze or puzzle areas of these maps.
The Pure Maze room is located on the left side of the maze side of spawn. It contains maps of various difficulties that fit into the pure maze map category. Pure mazes can NOT be streamed and recorded. Doing so is a ban-able offense and will not be tolerated.
The Mixed Maze room is located on the right side of the maze side of spawn. It contains maps of various difficulties that fit into the mixed maze map category, meaning the maps may include parkours, puzzles or other challenge types. Mixed mazes can NOT be streamed and recorded. Doing so is a ban-able offense and will not be tolerated.
Puzzles (& Searches)
The Puzzles room is located on the left side of the puzzle side of spawn. It contains maps of various difficulties that fit into the puzzle (pure or mixed) or search (pure or mixed) map categories. They may include additional challenge types. Puzzles and searches can NOT be streamed and recorded. Doing so is a ban-able offense and will not be tolerated.
The Adventure Maps room is located on the right side of the puzzle side of spawn. It contains maps of various difficulties that fit into the adventure map category. Adventure Maps can NOT be streamed or recorded. Doing so is a ban-able offense and will not be tolerated.
Challenges can be found under the grassy mound, between the snow building and Hardcore pit. It includes every challenge on the server.
FFA+ is another map classification meant to give spotlight to maps which are of exceptional quality and as such should be given better treatment than other maps classified FFA. The FFA+ maps are voted for every so often by Greens+ in FFA+ ballots. A complete list of all maps in FFA+ can be found here.
FFA+ ballots are hosted once every year, usually by a server Admin. The ballot consists of two phases: nomination and voting.
During the nomination phase, ballot participants suggest a relative maximum of 5 maps to be entered into FFA+. Any FFA classified map can be nominated, but a participant cannot nominate their own map(s), or map(s) that they've worked on significantly. Exceptions may be made for Community Maps, as they are usually made by over 5 people at a time. Other participants may agree with the nominations, but not disagree as that's reserved for voting. Maps that have at least a distinct interest in nominations go to the next phase, which is voting.
During voting, participants vote either Yes, Neutral, or No for whether the maps nominated should be classified FFA+. Participants cannot vote Yes or No on their own maps and are instead encouraged to vote Neutral. Maps that receive over a certain percentage of positive votes (usually around 60%-80%) will become FFA+ classified.
Firstly, maps are submitted on the forums for tracking purposes. This post includes checkpoint coordinates, the map name, its authors and similar.
When a player submits a map, they are expected to have already had the start, mid (if any), and end checkpoints already setup, and a region setup protecting the map with proper flags set. Once the map is confirmed to have all of these, a Board member sets the map to "On Board". At this point, all green+ players have the ability to leave reviews and comment on the map. This also opens up the map to reviews from members of The Board. The Board is composed of players that are devoted to reviewing maps and have a good grasp on what standards maps need to meet to get published. Once a board member reviews the map, one of three things happens:
- If the Board member thinks that the map is ready, they apply the prefix "Nominated". At this point, another board member needs to review the map. If they also agree that the map is ready for publishing, they apply the prefix "Published" and it becomes published as a full map on the server.
- If the Board member sees that there are some definite areas for improvement or any bugs and/or escapes, the prefix is to "Altering". When this happens, greens are still allowed to review the map, but the map creator is meant to make any changes that need to happen. If the map creator changes the map to an acceptable standard, a Board member changes the prefix to "Nominated" and will require another member to agree so that the map can be published.
- If the Board member thinks that the map will require substantial changes to make it acceptable, they apply the prefix "Reworking", and the creator must work on the map more to have its status changed back to "On Board".
- If the creator fails multiple times to fulfill the changes that board reviews lay out for them, especially after the map is given a "Reworking" tag, then the map is set to "Denied", and is not to be submitted again until a significant amount of work is done on the map.
When a map is set to be published, its difficulty is decided by looking at a group of set maps, known as boundary maps.
Upper White: Old Level 2
Lower Green: Sky Parkour
Upper Green: Shroomville
Lower Yellow: Space Mission
Upper Yellow: Giant Minecraft
Lower Orange: Atari
Upper Orange: Aqueous
Lower Red: The Portal
Lower Blue: Fire and Ice Maze
Lower Yellow: Xrm's Labyrinth
Upper Yellow: Spectrum
Lower Orange: Tower Prowl
Lower Red: Telepads
There are no set boundary maps for Puzzles, as they are more subjective than parkour or mazes.
Current Board Members
- Sky Castle used to be the upper Yellow boundary map, but was changed to Giant Minecraft when it was removed from FFA.